WHY WE NEED YOU
Do you have a special gift or talent you can share with us? Do you craft, clog, speak a foreign language, play an instrument, shoot model rockets? Do you love interacting with children and making them smile? Are you a people person? We want to know!
We are excited to invite new volunteers, 18 years of age and older, to join the TCMU-Spartanburg family! We have several ongoing needs at the Museum and look forward to the unique experiences you will bring to our organization. In order to provide you with adequate information and training and also to be considerate of your time, we have specifically scheduled times of the year in which volunteers may attend info sessions. Dates are listed below under volunteer info sessions.
Your time, talent and energy can make the difference for our guests. With multiple opportunities to choose from, we hope you will make the Children’s Museum of the Upstate your new volunteer home.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- College Students
- Young Professionals
- Corporate & Group Volunteers
- Retirees & Seniors
- Grown-ups with a volunteer spirit
- Mutilingual volunteers
TYPES OF SHIFTS AVAILABLE TO ONGOING VOLUNTEERS
- Story Time and More - children listen to a story read by our educators, then create an accompanying craft or engage in related play
- Open Art Studios - children create an art project with our materials and assistance
- Exhibit Guide & Demo Assistant (weekend) / Group or Field Trip Assistant (weekday) - assist our staff in maintaining a safe and engaging environment for our visitors and creating opportunities for learning through demonstrations
- Community Tables/Marketing Event Street Team - promote the museum and educate the community on all of the exciting happenings at the museum at community events
Other monthly programming, project and special event opportunities are available on an as-needed basis; volunteer shifts are scheduled as needed and may be chosen from our sign-up page.
VOLUNTEER INFO SESSIONS
September 5 at 5:30pm
Dates are subject to change. Additional info sessions and orientations may be scheduled during museum business hours.
IN ORDER TO VOLUNTEER, APPLICANTS MUST:
- Fill out the online Interest Application by clicking the yellow button below.
- Your application will be kept on file and you will be notified about the next scheduled information session (see dates below) to learn more about the needs of the museum and available volunteer opportunities.
- After attending the info session, if the applicant is interested in moving forward, they will sign up for an interview time to meet with staff and review additional paperwork which includes emergency contacts, medical and media waivers and character references. Interviews typically last 15-30 minutes.
- Applicants 18 years of age and older must successfully complete a criminal background check ($8 cost to the volunteer).
- Finally, if volunteer placement is determined a good fit for both parties and all reference and background checks are complete, the applicant will be scheduled for an orientation on or before their first volunteer shift.
*Please note: Applicants 18 years of age and older must success
fully complete online child protection training prior to their first shift.