A field trip at TCMU-Spartanburg opens a world of learning and play for your youngest learners. Explore our two floors of interactive exhibits, full of opportunity for hands-on play that reinforces early childhood milestones.
Field trips at TCMU-Spartanburg are for 3k, 4k, and 5k classes.
Please read the following information about field trips, and then click the purple button below to request your trip date for the 2019-2020 school year.
FIELD TRIP HOURS & CAPACITY
Museum hours are Tuesday through Friday, 9am-5pm. Field Trips are scheduled to accommodate a max capacity of 50 students in two hour increments in order to ensure your group gets the best experience. Your group may be split into multiple time frames based on class size to best accommodate your group.
FIELD TRIP PRICING
*Rates below are discounted and based on 30-day advance payment.
- Students: $4.50 per child
- Within the 1:7 ratio - free
- Up to five additional adults may pay the group rate of $4.50 per person upon arrival to the museum
- Add-On Program: $2 per child
Spartanburg School Districts 1, 2, and 7 are covered under District Membership for the 2019-2020 school year– please contact our sales team at 864-553-7934 to discuss options for your group.
FIELD TRIP AGE GROUPS
TCMU-Spartanburg is designed specifically for children ages birth-5. Field Trip requests will only be accepted for children in 3K, 4K, and 5K classes.
PROGRAMS AND CLASSES
- Programs must be added at the time of your date request.
Program for 3K- My Five Senses- Three year-olds will play, learn and discover as they smell, touch, hear and see their way around stations designed to ignite their senses. (Teachers are responsible for students with allergies.) APL 1 & 2; HPD-5; LDC-2, 3, 4 & 7; CD-1, 2, 3 & 11
Program for 4K- Grossology, The Nose Knows- Learn about mucus- why it’s there, how it works, how and why to clean your nose safely. Make “snot” and see how it traps environmental pollutants and allergens. APL-1, 2 & 8; HPD-6, 7 & 8; LDC-2, 3 & 7; CD-1 & 2.
- Program for 4k - Engineering 101 - Learn about principles of mechanics through storytelling, then work in groups to hone creativity and problem solving skills while designing machinery using similar principles. APL 1, 2 & 4; ESD 4 & 5; LDC 2, 3 & 4; MTE 4; CD 1, 2 & 11
Program for 5K- Intro to Coding- Students will use directional language and programming to design a map and then program a special robot to carry out commands. APL-4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9; ESD-2; LDC-7 & 13; MTE-2, 3, 4, 5 & 6; CD-2
PAYMENTS AND CANCELLATION:
- Payments must be made 30 days prior to visit (check or credit card). Payments must be made 30 days in advance to receive quoted admission pricing (check or credit card). If unable to pay 30 days in advance, full admission rates will apply.
- No refunds are given for students unable to attend.
- If school is cancelled on the day of your visit, you may reschedule your visit within the same school year.
ADULT AND STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- One adult for every seven students is required. Adults include teachers, teacher’s aides, parents, etc.
- Schools will not be allowed into the museum until the 1:7 ratio is met
- Up to five additional adults can pay the group rate of $4.50 upon arrival to the museum
- Adults are responsible for the behavior of all students during school visits.
- Students must stay with an adult at all times.
- No food, drinks, candy, or gum are permitted in the museum.
- Adults are encouraged to silence their cellphones or use them only when urgent.
- We reserve the right to ask disorderly groups to leave the building without refunds.
ARRIVAL, DEPARTURE, AND PARKING:
- The booking teacher should check the group in at admission while the students and chaperones wait on the bus for a TCMU-S program guide to give the field trip rules.
- Buses should then follow the instructions on the bus parking map to enter Magnolia Street correctly and drop off and pick up students in front of TCMU-S. Buses will then follow instructions to park in bus parking until the visit is complete.
- Personal vehicles may park in the Magnolia Street parking garage across the street from TCMU-S.
- Arrive on time. Arriving late to your visit may result in a shortened or cancelled program to be determined by the Manager on Duty. Refunds will not be given to groups arriving late.
- Memberships do not apply for STUDENT admission on field trips.
THE MORE TO EXPLORE STORE:
- Tee shirts, stuffed animals, and water bottles are available to purchase at the museum.
- Adult chaperones receive a store discount of 10% on the day of their field trip.
- TCMU reserves the right to photograph or video visitors.
- It is the responsibility of the teacher to notify TCMU staff upon arrival of any student who CANNOT be photographed.